There is TONS of awesome dog behavior information available and educating yourself is one of the best things you can do for you and your dog(s)! It helps you know what to look for in a trainer, better enables you to choose a companion that’s a good fit when adopting, and may even change your perspective on that problem behavior you’re currently dealing with. Most importantly, it can serve to strengthen your relationship with, and understanding of, the dog(s) with whom you share your life …
Resources from Dogs Out Loud…
We have tons of free training plans and programs for you to use as a guide to get started working with your dog. We always recommend seeking out a professional trainer or behaviorist when working with serious behavior issues, but for some of the easier, you can often troubleshoot those at home.
Behavior Support Blog Posts and Presentations from DOL:
- So You’ve Brought Home a New Dog…Now What? – Making the transition as smooth as possible for you and your newly adopted shelter dog
- Just You and the Dog – Finding authenticity in your interactions.
- Leash Gremlins Need Love Too – Helping reactive dogs.
- The Emotional Lives of Shelter Dogs, Part 1 and Part 2: Saving more lives through quality care and programming.
- I Need to Return This Dog – Troubleshooting behavior related reasons for dog returns.
- Catch Your Dog Doing Something Good – Make training easier on your dog and yourself by making the good stuff count.
- Fearful/Shy Dog Workshop
- Is He Good with Other Dogs: Resources for dog-dog interactions
Our Training Plans
- 7 Steps to Success with Your New Dog
- 7 Steps to Fostering a Dog
- 5 Basic Cues for Dogs (and Cats)
- Loose Leash Walking Tips
Click here for all our dog training plans and programs.
Shelter Cheat Sheets & Behavior Handouts from DOL:
- Basic Behavior Plan for Shelter Dogs
- Advanced Training Plan for Shelter Dogs
- I Love My Kennel Protocol
- Kennel Routine
- Things in My Mouth Plan (mouthing/leash biting dog training program)
- Fearful/Shy Dog Plan
- Reactivity & Barrier Frustration Plan
- Shelter Behavior Manual
Click here for all our shelter behavior resources, training plans, and programs.
Books We Recommend …
- Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier
- Canine Behavior – A Photo Illustrated Handbook by Barbara Handelman
- The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
- The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
- Don’t Shoot the Dog: The New Art of Teaching and Training by Karen Pryor
- Excel-erated Learning – Explaining How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them by Pamela Reid
- On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas
- The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell, PhD.
Reactivity, Aggression, & Fear:
- Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash Reactive Dog – Patricia McConnell, PhD. and Karen London, PhD.
- The Cautious Canine: How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears – Patricia McConnell, PhD.
- Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs – Grisha Stewart
- Aggression in Dogs: Practical Management, Prevention, & Behavior Modification – Brenda Aloff
- Help for Your Fearful Dog – Nicole Wilde
- A Guide to Living With & Training Your Fearful Dog – Debbie Jacobs
- Getting in TTouch with Your Dog – Linda Tellington-Jones
- Fired Up, Frantic, and Freaked Out – Laura VanArendonk Baugh
- Fight! – A Practical Guide to the Treatment of Dog-Dog Agression – Jean Donaldson
- Mine! – A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs – Jean Donaldson
- Don’t Leave Me! Step by Step Help for Your Dog’s Separation Anxiety – Nicole Wilde
- I’ll Be Home Soon: How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety – Patricia McConnell, PhD.
- Treating Separation Anxiety in Dogs – Malena DeMartini Price
- Through a Dog’s Ear: Using Sound to Improve the Health and Behavior of Your Canine Companion – Joshua Leeds
For Your Canine Wild Child:
- Control Unleashed – Leslie McDevitt
- Chill Out Fido! How to Calm Your Dog – Nan Arthur
- When Pigs Fly! Training Success With Impossible Dogs – Jane Killion
- Play with Your Dog – Pat Miller
Basic Behavior Help & Training:
- How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves – Sophia Yin
- My Dog Pulls. What Do I Do? – Turid Rugaas
- Family Friendly Dog Training: A 6 Week Program for You and Your Dog – Patricia McConnell, PhD.
- Before and After Getting Your Puppy – Dr. Ian Dunbar
- Way to Go! How to Housetrain a Dog of Any Age – Patricia McConnell & Karen London
- Nosework with boxes
- The Canine Kingdom of Scent: Fun Activities Using Your Dog’s Natural Instincts – Ann Lill Kvam
- Agility Training for You and Your Dog: From Backyard Fun to High Performance Training – Ali Canova, Joe Canova, and Diane Goodspeed
- Best Hikes with Dogs: Texas Hill Country and Coast – Melissa Gaskill (Find your local edition if you’re not in the Austin/Central TX area!)
Websites We Recommend …
Behavior Professionals with Wonderful Programs and Helpful Articles:
- iSpeakDog – learn how to understand what your dog is saying and doing by reading his body language
- Suzanne Clothier
- Patricia McConnell, PhD.
- Grisha Stewart
- Nicole Wilde
- Dr. Sophia Yin
- Karen Pryor
- Ian Dunbar, PhD.
- Victoria Stilwell
- Jean Donaldson
- Debbie Jacobs (fearful dogs)
- Whole Dog Journal
- Dog Star Daily
- 4 Paws University
Awesome Resources, Products, Communities, and Advocacy:
- Animal Trustees of Austin, Free/Low-Cost Vet Care *LOCAL!
- Emancipet, Free/Low-Cost Vet Care *LOCAL!
- Fantastic Shelter Enrichment Resources from Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary
- DINOS “Dogs in Need of Space”
- Artist, Lili Chin
- Best Friends Animal Society’s Resource Library
- Tails from the Lab (wonderful learning to speak dog series + more)
- Compassion Fatigue Education from Jessica Dolce
- KONG Company (durable doggie play things)
- Nina Ottosson (interactive toys)
- The Thundershirt (for fear and anxiety)
- Dogs Out Loud
- Austin Animal Center
- Austin Pets Alive!
- Austin Humane Society
- List of Austin Rescue Groups
Local Trainers We Recommend
- DeBono Dog Training & Behavior Specialists
- The Canine Center for Training and Behavior
- The Stellar Dog
- Bellamy Behavior & Dog Training
- Austin Dog Zone
- Train My Dogs
- Action Pack Dog Center
Apply for a Training Scholarship Through The Schrodi Fund
What to Look for When Choosing a Trainer
- Who Should Treat Behavior Problems in Dogs and Cats? – Dr. Patricia McConnell, Phd.
- How to Choose a Dog Trainer -4Paws University
- How to Choose a Good Dog Trainer – Victoria Stilwell